September 29, 2022

Job 3

1After this, Job opened his mouth and cursed the day of his birth. 2He said:

3"May the day of my birth perish, and the night it was said, 'A boy is born!' 4That day--may it turn to darkness; may God above not care about it; may no light shine upon it. 5May darkness and deep shadow claim it once more; may a cloud settle over it; may blackness overwhelm its light. 6That night--may thick darkness seize it; may it not be included among the days of the year nor be entered in any of the months. 7May that night be barren; may no shout of joy be heard in it. 8May those who curse days curse that day, those who are ready to rouse Leviathan. 9May its morning stars become dark; may it wait for daylight in vain and not see the first rays of dawn, 10for it did not shut the doors of the womb on me to hide trouble from my eyes.

11"Why did I not perish at birth, and die as I came from the womb? 12Why were there knees to receive me and breasts that I might be nursed? 13For now I would be lying down in peace; I would be asleep and at rest 14with kings and counselors of the earth, who built for themselves places now lying in ruins, 15with rulers who had gold, who filled their houses with silver. 16Or why was I not hidden in the ground like a stillborn child, like an infant who never saw the light of day? 17There the wicked cease from turmoil, and there the weary are at rest. 18Captives also enjoy their ease; they no longer hear the slave driver's shout. 19The small and the great are there, and the slave is freed from his master.

20"Why is light given to those in misery, and life to the bitter of soul, 21to those who long for death that does not come, who search for it more than for hidden treasure, 22who are filled with gladness and rejoice when they reach the grave? 23Why is life given to a man whose way is hidden, whom God has hedged in? 24For sighing comes to me instead of food; my groans pour out like water. 25What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me. 26I have no peace, no quietness; I have no rest, but only turmoil."

 

 

Psalm 88

1A song. A psalm of the Sons of Korah. For the director of music. According to [mahalath leannoth.] A [maskil] of Heman the Ezrahite. O LORD, the God who saves me, day and night I cry out before you. 2May my prayer come before you; turn your ear to my cry. 3For my soul is full of trouble and my life draws near the grave. 4I am counted among those who go down to the pit; I am like a man without strength. 5I am set apart with the dead, like the slain who lie in the grave, whom you remember no more, who are cut off from your care. 6You have put me in the lowest pit, in the darkest depths. 7Your wrath lies heavily upon me; you have overwhelmed me with all your waves. [Selah] 8You have taken from me my closest friends and have made me repulsive to them. I am confined and cannot escape; 9my eyes are dim with grief. I call to you, O LORD, every day; I spread out my hands to you. 10Do you show your wonders to the dead? Do those who are dead rise up and praise you? [Selah] 11Is your love declared in the grave, your faithfulness in Destruction? 12Are your wonders known in the place of darkness, or your righteous deeds in the land of oblivion? 13But I cry to you for help, O LORD; in the morning my prayer comes before you. 14Why, O LORD, do you reject me and hide your face from me? 15From my youth I have been afflicted and close to death; I have suffered your terrors and am in despair. 16Your wrath has swept over me; your terrors have destroyed me. 17All day long they surround me like a flood; they have completely engulfed me. 18You have taken my companions and loved ones from me; the darkness is my closest friend.

 

 

Luke 8:9–18

9His disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10He said, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,

" 'though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.'

11"This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. 12Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. 14The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. 15But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

16"No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light. 17For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open. 18Therefore consider carefully how you listen. Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what he thinks he has will be taken from him."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, September 7, 2023

Thursday, November 30, 2023

Friday, October 6, 2023