Thursday, September 30, 2021

 Ezekiel 28

1The word of the LORD came to me: 2"Son of man, say to the ruler of Tyre, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says:

" 'In the pride of your heart you say, "I am a god; I sit on the throne of a god in the heart of the seas." But you are a man and not a god, though you think you are as wise as a god. 3Are you wiser than Daniel? Is no secret hidden from you? 4By your wisdom and understanding you have gained wealth for yourself and amassed gold and silver in your treasuries. 5By your great skill in trading you have increased your wealth, and because of your wealth your heart has grown proud.

6" 'Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says:

" 'Because you think you are wise, as wise as a god, 7I am going to bring foreigners against you, the most ruthless of nations; they will draw their swords against your beauty and wisdom and pierce your shining splendor. 8They will bring you down to the pit, and you will die a violent death in the heart of the seas. 9Will you then say, "I am a god," in the presence of those who kill you? You will be but a man, not a god, in the hands of those who slay you. 10You will die the death of the uncircumcised at the hands of foreigners.

I have spoken, declares the Sovereign LORD.' "

11The word of the LORD came to me: 12"Son of man, take up a lament concerning the king of Tyre and say to him: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says:

" 'You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. 13You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone adorned you: ruby, topaz and emerald, chrysolite, onyx and jasper, sapphire, turquoise and beryl. Your settings and mountings were made of gold; on the day you were created they were prepared. 14You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for so I ordained you. You were on the holy mount of God; you walked among the fiery stones. 15You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created till wickedness was found in you. 16Through your widespread trade you were filled with violence, and you sinned. So I drove you in disgrace from the mount of God, and I expelled you, O guardian cherub, from among the fiery stones. 17Your heart became proud on account of your beauty, and you corrupted your wisdom because of your splendor. So I threw you to the earth; I made a spectacle of you before kings. 18By your many sins and dishonest trade you have desecrated your sanctuaries. So I made a fire come out from you, and it consumed you, and I reduced you to ashes on the ground in the sight of all who were watching. 19All the nations who knew you are appalled at you; you have come to a horrible end and will be no more.' "

20The word of the LORD came to me: 21"Son of man, set your face against Sidon; prophesy against her 22and say: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says:

" 'I am against you, O Sidon, and I will gain glory within you. They will know that I am the LORD, when I inflict punishment on her and show myself holy within her. 23I will send a plague upon her and make blood flow in her streets. The slain will fall within her, with the sword against her on every side. Then they will know that I am the LORD.

24" 'No longer will the people of Israel have malicious neighbors who are painful briers and sharp thorns. Then they will know that I am the Sovereign LORD.

25" 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: When I gather the people of Israel from the nations where they have been scattered, I will show myself holy among them in the sight of the nations. Then they will live in their own land, which I gave to my servant Jacob. 26They will live there in safety and will build houses and plant vineyards; they will live in safety when I inflict punishment on all their neighbors who maligned them. Then they will know that I am the LORD their God.' "

 

 

Psalm 89

1A [maskil] of Ethan the Ezrahite. I will sing of the LORD's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations. 2I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you established your faithfulness in heaven itself. 3You said, "I have made a covenant with my chosen one, I have sworn to David my servant, 4'I will establish your line forever and make your throne firm through all generations.' " [Selah] 5The heavens praise your wonders, O LORD, your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones. 6For who in the skies above can compare with the LORD? Who is like the LORD among the heavenly beings? 7In the council of the holy ones God is greatly feared; he is more awesome than all who surround him. 8O LORD God Almighty, who is like you? You are mighty, O LORD, and your faithfulness surrounds you. 9You rule over the surging sea; when its waves mount up, you still them. 10You crushed Rahab like one of the slain; with your strong arm you scattered your enemies. 11The heavens are yours, and yours also the earth; you founded the world and all that is in it. 12You created the north and the south; Tabor and Hermon sing for joy at your name. 13Your arm is endued with power; your hand is strong, your right hand exalted. 14Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; love and faithfulness go before you. 15Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O LORD. 16They rejoice in your name all day long; they exult in your righteousness. 17For you are their glory and strength, and by your favor you exalt our horn. 18Indeed, our shield belongs to the LORD, our king to the Holy One of Israel. 19Once you spoke in a vision, to your faithful people you said: "I have bestowed strength on a warrior; I have exalted a young man from among the people. 20I have found David my servant; with my sacred oil I have anointed him. 21My hand will sustain him; surely my arm will strengthen him. 22No enemy will subject him to tribute; no wicked man will oppress him. 23I will crush his foes before him and strike down his adversaries. 24My faithful love will be with him, and through my name his horn will be exalted. 25I will set his hand over the sea, his right hand over the rivers. 26He will call out to me, 'You are my Father, my God, the Rock my Savior.' 27I will also appoint him my firstborn, the most exalted of the kings of the earth. 28I will maintain my love to him forever, and my covenant with him will never fail. 29I will establish his line forever, his throne as long as the heavens endure. 30"If his sons forsake my law and do not follow my statutes, 31if they violate my decrees and fail to keep my commands, 32I will punish their sin with the rod, their iniquity with flogging; 33but I will not take my love from him, nor will I ever betray my faithfulness. 34I will not violate my covenant or alter what my lips have uttered. 35Once for all, I have sworn by my holiness-- and I will not lie to David-- 36that his line will continue forever and his throne endure before me like the sun; 37it will be established forever like the moon, the faithful witness in the sky." [Selah] 38But you have rejected, you have spurned, you have been very angry with your anointed one. 39You have renounced the covenant with your servant and have defiled his crown in the dust. 40You have broken through all his walls and reduced his strongholds to ruins. 41All who pass by have plundered him; he has become the scorn of his neighbors. 42You have exalted the right hand of his foes; you have made all his enemies rejoice. 43You have turned back the edge of his sword and have not supported him in battle. 44You have put an end to his splendor and cast his throne to the ground. 45You have cut short the days of his youth; you have covered him with a mantle of shame. [Selah] 46How long, O LORD? Will you hide yourself forever? How long will your wrath burn like fire? 47Remember how fleeting is my life. For what futility you have created all men! 48What man can live and not see death, or save himself from the power of the grave? [Selah] 49O Lord, where is your former great love, which in your faithfulness you swore to David? 50Remember, Lord, how your servant has been mocked, how I bear in my heart the taunts of all the nations, 51the taunts with which your enemies have mocked, O LORD, with which they have mocked every step of your anointed one. 52Praise be to the LORD forever! Amen and Amen.

 

 

Hebrews 3:1–11

1Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess. 2He was faithful to the one who appointed him, just as Moses was faithful in all God's house. 3Jesus has been found worthy of greater honor than Moses, just as the builder of a house has greater honor than the house itself. 4For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything. 5Moses was faithful as a servant in all God's house, testifying to what would be said in the future. 6But Christ is faithful as a son over God's house. And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast.

7So, as the Holy Spirit says:

"Today, if you hear his voice, 8do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the desert, 9where your fathers tested and tried me and for forty years saw what I did. 10That is why I was angry with that generation, and I said, 'Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways.' 11So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.' "

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, September 7, 2023

Thursday, November 30, 2023

Friday, October 6, 2023