Sunday, October 20, 2019


Job 23:1-17
1Then Job replied:
2"Even today my complaint is bitter; his hand is heavy in spite of my groaning. 3If only I knew where to find him; if only I could go to his dwelling! 4I would state my case before him and fill my mouth with arguments. 5I would find out what he would answer me, and consider what he would say. 6Would he oppose me with great power? No, he would not press charges against me. 7There an upright man could present his case before him, and I would be delivered forever from my judge. 8"But if I go to the east, he is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find him. 9When he is at work in the north, I do not see him; when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him. 10But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. 11My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside. 12I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.
13"But he stands alone, and who can oppose him? He does whatever he pleases. 14He carries out his decree against me, and many such plans he still has in store. 15That is why I am terrified before him; when I think of all this, I fear him. 16God has made my heart faint; the Almighty has terrified me. 17Yet I am not silenced by the darkness, by the thick darkness that covers my face.
Job 24:1-12
1"Why does the Almighty not set times for judgment? Why must those who know him look in vain for such days? 2Men move boundary stones; they pasture flocks they have stolen. 3They drive away the orphan's donkey and take the widow's ox in pledge. 4They thrust the needy from the path and force all the poor of the land into hiding. 5Like wild donkeys in the desert, the poor go about their labor of foraging food; the wasteland provides food for their children. 6They gather fodder in the fields and glean in the vineyards of the wicked. 7Lacking clothes, they spend the night naked; they have nothing to cover themselves in the cold. 8They are drenched by mountain rains and hug the rocks for lack of shelter. 9The fatherless child is snatched from the breast; the infant of the poor is seized for a debt. 10Lacking clothes, they go about naked; they carry the sheaves, but still go hungry. 11They crush olives among the terraces; they tread the winepresses, yet suffer thirst. 12The groans of the dying rise from the city, and the souls of the wounded cry out for help. But God charges no one with wrongdoing.


Psalm 106:24–48
24Then they despised the pleasant land; they did not believe his promise. 25They grumbled in their tents and did not obey the LORD. 26So he swore to them with uplifted hand that he would make them fall in the desert, 27make their descendants fall among the nations and scatter them throughout the lands. 28They yoked themselves to the Baal of Peor and ate sacrifices offered to lifeless gods; 29they provoked the LORD to anger by their wicked deeds, and a plague broke out among them. 30But Phinehas stood up and intervened, and the plague was checked. 31This was credited to him as righteousness for endless generations to come. 32By the waters of Meribah they angered the LORD, and trouble came to Moses because of them; 33for they rebelled against the Spirit of God, and rash words came from Moses' lips. 34They did not destroy the peoples as the LORD had commanded them, 35but they mingled with the nations and adopted their customs. 36They worshiped their idols, which became a snare to them. 37They sacrificed their sons and their daughters to demons. 38They shed innocent blood, the blood of their sons and daughters, whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan, and the land was desecrated by their blood. 39They defiled themselves by what they did; by their deeds they prostituted themselves. 40Therefore the LORD was angry with his people and abhorred his inheritance. 41He handed them over to the nations, and their foes ruled over them. 42Their enemies oppressed them and subjected them to their power. 43Many times he delivered them, but they were bent on rebellion and they wasted away in their sin. 44But he took note of their distress when he heard their cry; 45for their sake he remembered his covenant and out of his great love he relented. 46He caused them to be pitied by all who held them captive. 47Save us, O LORD our God, and gather us from the nations, that we may give thanks to your holy name and glory in your praise. 48Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. Let all the people say, "Amen!" Praise the LORD.




Luke 13:31-35
31At that time some Pharisees came to Jesus and said to him, "Leave this place and go somewhere else. Herod wants to kill you."
32He replied, "Go tell that fox, 'I will drive out demons and heal people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.' 33In any case, I must keep going today and tomorrow and the next day--for surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem!
34"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing! 35Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.' "
Luke 14:1-11
1One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched. 2There in front of him was a man suffering from dropsy. 3Jesus asked the Pharisees and experts in the law, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath or not?" 4But they remained silent. So taking hold of the man, he healed him and sent him away.
5Then he asked them, "If one of you has a son or an ox that falls into a well on the Sabbath day, will you not immediately pull him out?" 6And they had nothing to say.
7When he noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable: 8"When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. 9If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, 'Give this man your seat.' Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. 10But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all your fellow guests. 11For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, November 30, 2023

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Monday, November 27, 2023