Monday, October 28, 2019


Job 31:16–40
16"If I have denied the desires of the poor or let the eyes of the widow grow weary, 17if I have kept my bread to myself, not sharing it with the fatherless-- 18but from my youth I reared him as would a father, and from my birth I guided the widow-- 19if I have seen anyone perishing for lack of clothing, or a needy man without a garment, 20and his heart did not bless me for warming him with the fleece from my sheep, 21if I have raised my hand against the fatherless, knowing that I had influence in court, 22then let my arm fall from the shoulder, let it be broken off at the joint. 23For I dreaded destruction from God, and for fear of his splendor I could not do such things.
24"If I have put my trust in gold or said to pure gold, 'You are my security,' 25if I have rejoiced over my great wealth, the fortune my hands had gained, 26if I have regarded the sun in its radiance or the moon moving in splendor, 27so that my heart was secretly enticed and my hand offered them a kiss of homage, 28then these also would be sins to be judged, for I would have been unfaithful to God on high.
29"If I have rejoiced at my enemy's misfortune or gloated over the trouble that came to him-- 30I have not allowed my mouth to sin by invoking a curse against his life-- 31if the men of my household have never said, 'Who has not had his fill of Job's meat?'-- 32but no stranger had to spend the night in the street, for my door was always open to the traveler-- 33if I have concealed my sin as men do, by hiding my guilt in my heart 34because I so feared the crowd and so dreaded the contempt of the clans that I kept silent and would not go outside—
35("Oh, that I had someone to hear me! I sign now my defense--let the Almighty answer me; let my accuser put his indictment in writing. 36Surely I would wear it on my shoulder, I would put it on like a crown. 37I would give him an account of my every step; like a prince I would approach him.)—
38"if my land cries out against me and all its furrows are wet with tears, 39if I have devoured its yield without payment or broken the spirit of its tenants, 40then let briers come up instead of wheat and weeds instead of barley."
The words of Job are ended.


Psalm 112
1Praise the LORD. Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great delight in his commands. 2His children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed. 3Wealth and riches are in his house, and his righteousness endures forever. 4Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for the gracious and compassionate and righteous man. 5Good will come to him who is generous and lends freely, who conducts his affairs with justice. 6Surely he will never be shaken; a righteous man will be remembered forever. 7He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD. 8His heart is secure, he will have no fear; in the end he will look in triumph on his foes. 9He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor, his righteousness endures forever; his horn will be lifted high in honor. 10The wicked man will see and be vexed, he will gnash his teeth and waste away; the longings of the wicked will come to nothing.


Luke 18:1–14
1Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. 3And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.'
4"For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, 5yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' "
6And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"
9To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: 10"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'
13"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
14"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday, September 7, 2023

Thursday, November 30, 2023

Friday, October 6, 2023