Monday, July 22, 2019
Numbers
22:21–41
21Balaam got
up in the morning, saddled his donkey and went with the princes of Moab. 22But
God was very angry when he went, and the angel of the LORD stood in the road to
oppose him. Balaam was riding on his donkey, and his two servants were with
him. 23When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD standing in the
road with a drawn sword in his hand, she turned off the road into a field.
Balaam beat her to get her back on the road.
24Then the
angel of the LORD stood in a narrow path between two vineyards, with walls on
both sides. 25When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she pressed
close to the wall, crushing Balaam's foot against it. So he beat her again.
26Then the
angel of the LORD moved on ahead and stood in a narrow place where there was no
room to turn, either to the right or to the left. 27When the donkey
saw the angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat
her with his staff. 28Then the LORD opened the donkey's mouth, and
she said to Balaam, "What have I done to you to make you beat me these
three times?"
29Balaam
answered the donkey, "You have made a fool of me! If I had a sword in my
hand, I would kill you right now."
30The donkey
said to Balaam, "Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden,
to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?"
"No," he said.
31Then the
LORD opened Balaam's eyes, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the
road with his sword drawn. So he bowed low and fell facedown.
32The angel
of the LORD asked him, "Why have you beaten your donkey these three times?
I have come here to oppose you because your path is a reckless one before me. 33The
donkey saw me and turned away from me these three times. If she had not turned
away, I would certainly have killed you by now, but I would have spared
her."
34Balaam
said to the angel of the LORD, "I have sinned. I did not realize you were
standing in the road to oppose me. Now if you are displeased, I will go
back."
35The angel
of the LORD said to Balaam, "Go with the men, but speak only what I tell
you." So Balaam went with the princes of Balak.
36When Balak
heard that Balaam was coming, he went out to meet him at the Moabite town on
the Arnon border, at the edge of his territory. 37Balak said to
Balaam, "Did I not send you an urgent summons? Why didn't you come to me?
Am I really not able to reward you?"
38"Well,
I have come to you now," Balaam replied. "But can I say just
anything? I must speak only what God puts in my mouth."
39Then
Balaam went with Balak to Kiriath Huzoth. 40Balak sacrificed cattle
and sheep, and gave some to Balaam and the princes who were with him. 41The
next morning Balak took Balaam up to Bamoth Baal, and from there he saw part of
the people.
Psalm
21
1For the
director of music. A psalm of David. O LORD, the king rejoices in your
strength. How great is his joy in the victories you give! 2You have
granted him the desire of his heart and have not withheld the request of his
lips. [Selah] 3You welcomed him with rich blessings and placed a
crown of pure gold on his head. 4He asked you for life, and you gave
it to him-- length of days, for ever and ever. 5Through the
victories you gave, his glory is great; you have bestowed on him splendor and
majesty. 6Surely you have granted him eternal blessings and made him
glad with the joy of your presence. 7For the king trusts in the
LORD; through the unfailing love of the Most High he will not be shaken. 8Your
hand will lay hold on all your enemies; your right hand will seize your foes. 9At
the time of your appearing you will make them like a fiery furnace. In his
wrath the LORD will swallow them up, and his fire will consume them. 10You
will destroy their descendants from the earth, their posterity from mankind. 11Though
they plot evil against you and devise wicked schemes, they cannot succeed; 12for
you will make them turn their backs when you aim at them with drawn bow. 13Be
exalted, O LORD, in your strength; we will sing and praise your might.
John
7:25–36
25At that
point some of the people of Jerusalem began to ask, "Isn't this the man
they are trying to kill? 26Here he is, speaking publicly, and they
are not saying a word to him. Have the authorities really concluded that he is
the Christ? 27But we know where this man is from; when the Christ
comes, no one will know where he is from."
28Then
Jesus, still teaching in the temple courts, cried out, "Yes, you know me,
and you know where I am from. I am not here on my own, but he who sent me is
true. You do not know him, 29but I know him because I am from him
and he sent me."
30At this
they tried to seize him, but no one laid a hand on him, because his time had
not yet come. 31Still, many in the crowd put their faith in him.
They said, "When the Christ comes, will he do more miraculous signs than
this man?"
32The
Pharisees heard the crowd whispering such things about him. Then the chief
priests and the Pharisees sent temple guards to arrest him.
33Jesus
said, "I am with you for only a short time, and then I go to the one who
sent me. 34You will look for me, but you will not find me; and where
I am, you cannot come."
35The Jews
said to one another, "Where does this man intend to go that we cannot find
him? Will he go where our people live scattered among the Greeks, and teach the
Greeks? 36What did he mean when he said, 'You will look for me, but
you will not find me,' and 'Where I am, you cannot come'?"
Comments
Post a Comment