Sunday, May 19, 2019
Leviticus
11:1–28
1The LORD
said to Moses and Aaron, 2"Say to the Israelites: 'Of all the
animals that live on land, these are the ones you may eat: 3You may
eat any animal that has a split hoof completely divided and that chews the cud.
4"
'There are some that only chew the cud or only have a split hoof, but you must
not eat them. The camel, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof;
it is ceremonially unclean for you. 5The coney, though it chews the
cud, does not have a split hoof; it is unclean for you. 6The rabbit,
though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is unclean for you. 7And
the pig, though it has a split hoof completely divided, does not chew the cud;
it is unclean for you. 8You must not eat their meat or touch their
carcasses; they are unclean for you.
9" 'Of
all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams, you may eat
any that have fins and scales. 10But all creatures in the seas or
streams that do not have fins and scales--whether among all the swarming things
or among all the other living creatures in the water--you are to detest. 11And
since you are to detest them, you must not eat their meat and you must detest
their carcasses. 12Anything living in the water that does not have
fins and scales is to be detestable to you.
13"
'These are the birds you are to detest and not eat because they are detestable:
the eagle, the vulture, the black vulture, 14the red kite, any kind
of black kite, 15any kind of raven, 16the horned owl, the
screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, 17the little owl, the
cormorant, the great owl, 18the white owl, the desert owl, the
osprey, 19the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat.
20"
'All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be detestable to you. 21There
are, however, some winged creatures that walk on all fours that you may eat:
those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. 22Of these
you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper. 23But
all other winged creatures that have four legs you are to detest.
24"
'You will make yourselves unclean by these; whoever touches their carcasses
will be unclean till evening. 25Whoever picks up one of their
carcasses must wash his clothes, and he will be unclean till evening.
26"
'Every animal that has a split hoof not completely divided or that does not
chew the cud is unclean for you; whoever touches [the carcass of] any of them
will be unclean. 27Of all the animals that walk on all fours, those
that walk on their paws are unclean for you; whoever touches their carcasses
will be unclean till evening. 28Anyone who picks up their carcasses
must wash his clothes, and he will be unclean till evening. They are unclean
for you.
Psalm
119:97–104
97Oh, how I
love your law! I meditate on it all day long. 98Your commands make
me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me. 99I have more
insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes. 100I
have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts. 101I
have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word. 102I
have not departed from your laws, for you yourself have taught me. 103How
sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! 104I
gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.
1
Corinthians 1:1–17
1Paul,
called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother
Sosthenes,
2To the
church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be
holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus
Christ--their Lord and ours:
3Grace and
peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
4I always
thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. 5For
in him you have been enriched in every way--in all your speaking and in all
your knowledge-- 6because our testimony about Christ was confirmed
in you. 7Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly
wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. 8He will keep you
strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus
Christ. 9God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus
Christ our Lord, is faithful.
10I appeal
to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree
with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may
be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11My brothers, some from
Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12What
I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I
follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another,
"I follow Christ."
13Is Christ
divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? 14I
am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15so
no one can say that you were baptized into my name. 16(Yes, I also
baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I
baptized anyone else.) 17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but
to preach the gospel--not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ
be emptied of its power.
Comments
Post a Comment